Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Eight Nights of Hanukkah

            The frenzy of Christmas is behind us—unless you count making returns, spending gift cards, and stocking up on wrap and cards for next year’s frenzy. Yesterday in Manhattan I witnessed the removal of the “Believe” banners that had been fluttering above the sidewalk outside Macy’s. Sad.
            However, Hanukkah continues one more night. So for my Jewish ancestors, relatives, and friends, and my Gentile students who have lit the menorah and eaten the latkes (but sadly not sufganiyot, maybe next year), I present my Yiddishized version of the Twelve Days of Christmas. (It’s a word if I say it’s a word.)
            When I shared this with my friend Israel Cohen, he said it had been done before, and even pointed me to some You Tube renditions. After watching them, I replied, “But not as well.”
            So please enjoy the best lyrics (mine) to the Eight Nights of Hanukkah. Please tell me when they appear on You Tube.

On the first night of Hanukkah my bubbe gave to me
A menorah from Eretz Yisrael.

On the second night of Hanukkah my bubbe gave to me
Two spinning dreidels
And a menorah from Eretz Yisrael.

On the third night of Hanukkah my bubbe gave to me
Three patriarchs
Two spinning dreidels
And a menorah from Eretz Yisrael.

On the fourth night of Hanukkah my bubbe gave to me
Four fighting Macabees
Three patriarchs
Two spinning dreidels
And a menorah from Eretz Yisrael.

On the fifth night of Hanukkah my bubbe gave to me
Five pieces of gelt
Four fighting Macabees
Three patriarchs
Two spinning dreidels
And a menorah from Eretz Yisrael.

On the sixth night of Hanukkah my bubbe gave to me
Six potato latkes
Five pieces of gelt
Four fighting Macabees
Three patriarchs
Two spinning dreidels
And a menorah from Eretz Yisrael.

On the seventh night of Hanukkah my bubbe gave to me
Seven sufganiyot
Six potato latkes
Five pieces of gelt
Four fighting Macabees
Three patriarchs
Two spinning dreidels
And a menorah from Eretz Yisrael.

On the eighth night of Hanukkah my bubbe gave to me
Eight glowing candles
Seven sufganiyot
Six potato latkes
Five pieces of gelt
Four fighting Macabees
Three patriarchs
Two spinning dreidels
And a menorah from Eretz Yisrael.

2 comments:

  1. This was fun AND educational. I didn't know about gelt. Next year at Hanukkah you should do your own You Tube rendition of this song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get gelt that are really chocolate covered with gold foil stamped with menorahs or stars of David. You can also get Hanukkah cookies, which are quite tasty, like the Barnum animal crackers.
    I guess if I worked on it all year, I might figure out how to post a video on You Tube. And I'd need to recruit 7 more singers to make it really work. And they couldn't be shy.

    ReplyDelete